This aerial view of the west end of Lafayette Yard depicted the area around the locomotive and car shops, and included at least 21 locomotives. By this time, SW1500's had replaced the rebuilt 1200-horsepower EMD switchers that had previously worked here. The long, narrow building to the left of the engine house had been the superintendent's office; but after those people moved into a new building next to the depot in 1982-83, this became the new yard office. It accommodated the yardmaster, trainmaster, and chief clerk; and included locker rooms for the switchmen and trainmen. The long, narrow building to the right of the two shop buildings housed the mechanical foreman, B&B Department and a small machine shop. The yellow vehicle to the left of this building was the L-8 boom truck. The north side of the yard was being used as a storage-in-transit facility for loaded covered hoppers. The main line is at the top of the picture, next to Walker Road. |