A CN unit train of tank cars parallels Hwy. 41 and approaches the Hwy. G overpass as it heads southwest via former SOO rails at Snells, WI on 26 Dec. '18. Snells is now little more than a map dot in the Town of Neenah, Winnebago Co. A Post Office was established on 4 May 1876, originally called Snell’s Station, sometimes referred to as Snell’s Crossing. This once small, rural community included a depot, cheese factory, sawmill, school, and stockyard. It does not look like any substantial remnants of the community remain, even the station sign, erected after the depot was removed, is gone (it is not a station on the CN system map). Train had three locomotives, CN 2920 and CN 3065 pulling as well as CN 2830 pushing. A remnant of the former C&NW main line runs parallel to the right. Neenah Foundry Plant 2 & Plant 3 are partially visible in the background to the left. Plant 2 opened in 1960 and Plant 3 was built in 1967. Plant 1 opened in 1918 and stood about a mile to the north, until it was closed in 1994 and eventually demolished. |